REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH – PROBLEM AND STRATEGIES:
· The programme “family planning” initiated in 1951.
· Reproductive and child health care (ACH)
· Sexually transmitted diseases (STD).
· Amniocentesis: A foetal sex determination test based on the chromosomal pattern in the amniotic fluid surrounding the developing embryo.
· ‘Saheli’ an oral contraceptive for female, developed by CDRI.(Central Drug Research Institute)
POPULATION EXPLOSION AND BIRTH CONTROL:
· Increased health facilities, better living conditions are the cause of population explosion.
· Out of 6 billion world population 1 billion are Indians.
· Rapid decline in death rate, maternal mortalility rate (MMR) and infant mortality rate (IMR) are major cause of population growth.
· Indian population growth rate is around 1.7 percent.
Characteristics of ideal contraceptive.
· User friendly.
· Easily available.
· Nor or least side – effects.
· No way interferes with sexual drive.
Fertilization is the process of fusion of sperm and ova. Sex determination is the method for the identification of sex. Pregnancy and embryonic development are the process of reproduction.
Birth control methods are adopted to reduce birth rate. Certain methods are adopted to reduce birth rate. Medical termination of pregnancy or induced abortion are another measure of birth control.
Diseases which are transmitted through sexual intercourse are known as sexually transmitted disease. Such are gonorrhea, syphilis, trichomoniasis, hepatitis B,AIDS.